Saturday 15 February 2014

Crafting and Creating

Since the whether is so horrid at the moment I thought I may as well get started on an idea I got a few weeks back. So in anticipation of some wonderful whether and adventures to be had outdoors, I thought now was probably the best time to start my project, oh and the fact that it is half term too helps. I decided in the new year to make a satchel, then fill it with simple things for exploring and having fun. My aim is to have a bag that is always ready to be grabbed. One that will encourage exploring and enjoying nature.

Now as I am managing to juggle a toddler, that should be cuddle a toddler whilst trying to do everything nowadays (he loves being with me and helping). Things do take twice as much time to do now, but his enthusiasm and interest in all that I do are a good thing, ahem though not so helpful when doing some things. So it's very likely that this project may take twice as much time to do as it should, hence starting it now.

I thought the children's half term break was a good a time as any to start with the first faze of this creative project. That way my daughter can help too with cutting the pattern out and then assembling the bag. We are going to use the template and instructions from one of my favourite craft books Belle and Boo Book Of Craft, available here:

Belle and Boo Book of Crafts

This book is utterly gorgeous and has so many projects that I want to make. Well worth a look if you have children in your life and are creative. Now, we could always just buy a satchel but to be honest it's the fun of planning and making this bag that really appeals. That way my daughter will get to see how things are created and we will have a bag that is totally unique and one we can remember doing together for years to come. I'm going to up cycle as many bits as I can from some old handbags, then raid my fabric store for a suitable material. I'm also thinking of letting my daughter create the lining fabric. We have some Dylon fabric pens, so I thought they could work well. My daughter loves to draw, huskies/wolves are her current favourite.... Perfect for the bag and as I have lots of vintage white cotton fabric that she can use to draw on, all we will need to do is cut out the pattern first. It's either that or block printing which I fancy having a go at too, but this could prove too time consuming. I found a fantastic tutorial here....

Poppy Talk

So if we don't do block printing for this project I'm determined to do it for another, maybe a scarf for summer, hmmm.

Well this project we be ongoing so I'm planning on taking pictures during every stage, I just wish the sun would shine so I could get some good quality images. I will keep updating either this post or write a new one with our progress. It could take us some time.

Warm wishes
Faye






No comments:

Post a Comment